We are proud to officially announce the AfroComicCon 2020 International Virtual Film Festival. A showcase of contemporary and interactive works of visual art showcasing films that reflect a number of genres including horror, science-fiction, comic book, animation, superhero, and fantasy.
Nsenga Burton, Ph.D., Emory University Professor of Film and Media and founder of The Burton Wire heads up the festival and handpicked the jury of filmmakers, scholars, curators, and archivists. Judges include Emmy and NAACP Award-nominated director Christine Swanson, Founder & Editor-in-Chief of SloMo Magazine Carlton Hargro, film critic, and author Ronda Rocha Penrice, filmmaker Booker T. Mattison, and writer, producer, and director Phill Branch.
The topic related films and their filmmakers are focused on bringing about diversity and inclusion, with a special focus on women and POC. Please note only films that fell into the broad category of Afrofuturism and in the genre categories of science-fiction, speculative Black fiction, Horror, fantasy, Anime, superheroes, and comic books were considered for inclusion in the festival.
Judging began on September 15th; and films that were finalists for the competition will be screened on AfroComicCon’s YouTube Channel, October 24, 2020, in addition to interviews and other programming. (Stay tuned for info about a Film Screening Watch Party as well!)
- AfroComicCon 2020 International Virtual Film Festival - October 19, 2020
- Pressing Pause - April 12, 2020
- Early Bird Tickets held over until midnight September 8th! - September 2, 2018
- Mountain Mike’s Pizza! - July 12, 2018
- AfroComicCon Presents: A Night of Comedy with Paul Mooney & Friends - May 20, 2018
- Presenting Sifu Kisu, Chief Martial Arts Director and Consultant for Avatar: The Last Airbender! - May 16, 2018
- FLASH! Fit Like a Super Hero comes to AfroComicCon 2018 - May 13, 2018